Common Admission Test, acronymed as CAT, is the entrance test to the Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs conducted by the Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs) annually.
The CAT, though conducted for admission to IIMs, its score is recognized by various other MBA colleges across the country. It is one of the best ways to get into a B-School in India.
CAT Exam Pattern:
|S.No.||Section Name||No. of Questions||Time Allotted|
|1||Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||34||60 minutes|
|2||Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VRC)||34||60 minutes|
|3||Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||60 minutes|
|Total||100||180 minutes (3 hours)|
CAT 2015 was held on 29 November 2015.
After 1947, the Government of independent India focused on the development of indigenous science and technology. As a technology base was being created, it became clear that the country needed to simultaneously augment management talent and resources. This led to the creation of the Indian Institutes of Management in the country envisioned and initiated by the first Prime Minister of India – Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. There are in all 19 Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) currently. The oldest being IIM Ahmedabad and IIM Calcutta, both set up in 1961.
- IIM Ahmedabad:
Among the IIMs, it is the most popular among the management students. Being so prestigious, it sieves through the most talented of the student pool. It offers the following post graduate management programmes- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM), Post- Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), Post Graduate Programme in Food and Agribusiness Management (PGP- FABM), One Year Post-Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPX), Faculty Development Programme (FDP) and Armed Forces Programme (AFP).
- IIM Calcutta:
The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC) was established as the first national institute for Post-Graduate studies and Research in Management by the Government of India in November 1961 in collaboration with Alfred P. Sloan School of Management (MIT), the Government of West Bengal, The Ford Foundation and Indian industry. The programmes offered are- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Aided Management (PGDCM), Post Graduate Programme for Executives (PGPEX), Post Graduate Programme for Executives for Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing (PGPEX-VLM), CEMS Masters in International Management and Post Graduate Diploma in Business Analytics (PGDBA). The Fellow Programme in Management includes the following – specializations: Behavioural Sciences, Economics, Finance & Control, Human Resource Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Operations Management, Public Policy & Management, and Strategic Management. The Fellow Programme in Disciplines Related to Management includes the following specializations:
Operations Research & Systems Analysis, Regional Development, and Sociology.
- IIM Bangalore:
In 2015, IIM-B was ranked the best business school in Central Asia by Eduniversal, Paris for the fourth consecutive year. Its courses include- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM), Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management (PGPPM), Post Graduate Program in Enterprise Management (PGPEM), Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP) and Executive Education Programme (EEP).
- IIM Lucknow:
The Association of MBAs (AMBA), an international impartial accrediting authority on postgraduate business education from London, has accorded accreditation to institute’s programmes. The courses are as follows- Post Graduate Diploma in Management, Post Graduate Programme in Agribusiness Management, Postgraduate Programme in Sustainable Management (PGPSM), Post-Graduate Programme in Management for Working Executives, International Programme in Management for Executives (IPMX). There are also Fellow Programmes and Executive Education.
- IIM Indore:
IIM Indore has campuses at Indore as well as Mumbai.
Post Graduate Programme (PGP) in Management, Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP), five-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM), Fellow Programme in Management (FPM), Fellow Programme in Management (Industry) and Faculty Development Programme are the postgraduate degrees offered by IIM-I.
- IIM Kozhikode:
Post Graduate Programme (PGP), Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP), Fellow Programme in Management (FPM), Executive Post Graduate Programme – Kochi Campus, Management Development Programme (MDP) and Faculty Development Programme (FDP) courses are offered by IIM Kozhikode. It has campuses at Kozhikode and Cochin.
- Rajiv Gandhi IIM Shillong:
IIM Shillong was established in 2007 with the intent to expand good quality management education in the North Eastern region of India. The Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management (RGIIM) offers a comprehensive two years Post-Graduate Diploma in Management Programme (PGDM) and a one year Post Graduate Program for Executives – Managing Business in India and China. Its Management Development Programmes (MDPs) specially designs and delivers short-duration quality programmes for the working executives of Indian industry, education, and government sectors.
- IIM Raipur:
Its international partners include AIT Bangkok, HHL Graduate School of Management Germany, ALBA Business School Greece, IPADE Business School Mexico etc. The postgraduate programme has 140 seats which require the student a 90 percentile CAT score for the general category. The programmes are Post-Graduate Programme in Management, Fellow Programme in Management, Post Graduate Programme in Management for Working Executive and Executive Fellow Program in Management.
- IIM Ranchi:
The ninth Indian Institute of Management was established at Ranchi in 2010. IIM Ranchi currently offers a two year PGDM in General management, which is its flagship programme. Going by the growing importance and indispensability associated with human resources, it is the only IIM offering a full-time two year programme in Human Resources Management (PGDHRM). It also offers Fellow Program in Management (FPM), a fellowship programme funded by the government and an 18-month part time Diploma in Management (PGEXP). It has launched a certified Barefoot Manger program to promote entrepreneurship and to impart livelihood skills among the school drop outs and illiterates.
- IIM Rohtak:
Collaborating with Singapore Management University, Kelley School of Business of USA and California State University, it offers a two year PGP.
- IIM Kashipur:
The Indian Institute of Management Kashipur, located in southern Uttarakhand, is a new entrant in the elite league of IIMs. It commenced operations from July 2011 with Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM), a two year full time residential programme. The Institute also offers a two-year weekend Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGPM) for working executives. Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) and Executive Fellow Programme (EFPM) are the two doctoral programmes launched in 2015 and 2014 respectively.
- IIM Tiruchirappalli:
Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli (IIMT) is the eleventh IIM and was instituted on January 4, 2011 under the patronage of the Government of India and the stewardship of IIM-B. Tiruchirapalli is a prominent city for art and culture in Tamil Nadu. The flagship programme, Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM), has been instrumental in the achievement of its goal- “Knowledge is endless”.
- IIM Udaipur:
In 2009, the Indian Government started six new IIMs including IIM Udaipur. Now located in a temporary campus at Mohanial Sukhadia University. The two year full-time Post Graduate Program (PGP) is the flagship program of IIMU. Students earn a Post Graduate Diploma in Management, equivalent to an MBA degree.
- IIM Amritsar:
IIM Amritsar is the 15th Indian Institute of Management being set up by the Ministry of Human Resources Development with the support of Government of Punjab. IIM Amritsar is being set up under the direction and mentorship of IIM Kozhikode.
- IIM Bodh Gaya:
IIM Bihar was expected to start its first academic session for the 2 year Post Graduate Program in Management (PGP) in August 2015. IIM Calcutta will mentor all the activities and oversee the teaching at IIM Bihar.
- IIM Nagpur:
Indian Institute of Management Nagpur started its first batch of Post Graduate Program (PGP) in Management from 23rd July 2015. The institute started functioning under the guidance and mentorship of Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, one of the top institutes of management in India and the Asia-Pacific. IIM Nagpur is currently located within the campus of VNIT Nagpur till it moves to its own campus later.
- IIM Sambalpur:
Under the mentorship of IIM Indore, Indian Institute of Management Sambalpur started the admission process for the first batch (2015-17) of its Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) from July 2015. The classes will be held in the temporary campus of IIM Sambalpur located in the premises of Silicon Institute of Technology, Sambalpur.
- IIM Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh:
IIM Sirmaur is being mentored by one of the top most business schools
in India – Indian Institute of Management Lucknow. IIM Lucknow in the
past has successfully mentored two other IIM’s – IIM Rohtak and IIM Kashipur.
- IIM Vishakhapatnam:
It offers only the PGP course as of now. The mentor institute is IIM- Bangalore.
Non- IIM Participating Institutes (state-wise)
- School of Management Studies, University of Hyderabad- uohyd.ernet.in
- Institute of Management Technology, Hyderabad- imthyderabad.edu.in
- GITAM School of International Business- gsib.org
- Department of Business Administration, Tezpur University- tezu.ernet.in
- Department of Business Administration, Jawaharlal Nehru School of Management Studies, Assam University- aus.ac.in
- Development Management Institute, DNS-RICM Campus- dmi.brlps.in
- Chandragupt Institute of Management Patna (CIMP)- cimp.ac.in
- Vivekanand Institute of Professional Studies, Delhi School of Business- dsb.edu.in
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi- fms.edu
- Fore School of Management- fsm.ac.in
- University of Delhi(Dept. of Commerce, Financial Studies & Business Economics), Delhi School of Economics- commercedu.com
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management- lbsim.ac.in
- Fortune Institute Of International Business- fiib.edu.in
- Asia-Pacific Institute of Management- asiapacific.edu
- New Delhi Institute of Management- ndimdelhi.org
- International Management Institute- imi.edu
- Apeejay School of Management- apeejay.edu
- Goa Institute of Management- gim.ac.in
- Institute of Management, Nirma University- nirmauni.ac.in
- MICA- mica.ac.in
- School of Petroleum Management, PDPU- spm.pdpu.ac.in
- Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India- ediindia.ac.in
- Institute of Rural Management, Anand- irma.ac.in
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar- gnlu.ac.in
- Amrut Mody School of Management- pgim.ahduni.edu.in
- BML Munjal University- bml.edu.in
- Management Development Institute (MDI)- mdi.ac.in
- National Power Training Institute- npti.in
Jammu and Kashmir:
- The Business School, Jammu- jammuuniversity.in
- Xavier Institute of Social Service- xiss.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Science- iisc.ernet.in.
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal- nitk.ac.in
- AIMS Institute of Higher Education (AIMS Institutes)- theaims.ac.in
- Prin L.N. Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research (Bangalore)- welingkar.org
- Institute of Finance & International Management (IFIM)- ifimbschool.com
- Alliance University- alliance.edu.in
- CMS Business School (Jain University)- bschool.cms.ac.in
- Indus Business Academy- iba.ac.in
- Myra School of Business- myra.ac.in
- Adarsh Institute of Management and Information Technology- adarshaimit.com
- GIBS Business School- gibsbschool.com
- A. Pai Management Institute (TAPMI)- www.tapmi.edu.in
- National School Of Business- nsbindia.org
- International School Of Management Excellence- isme.in
- ISBR Business School- isbr.in
- Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies- kiams.ac.in
- Rajagiri Business School- rajagiribusinessschool.com
- Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management, Gwalior- iiitm.ac.in
- Indian Institute of Forest Management- iifm.ac.in/pgdfm
- Institute Of Management Technology- imtnagpur.ac.in
- National Institute Of Bank Management- nibmindia.org
- Institute For Technology And Management- itm.edu
- Balaji Institute of International Business (BIIB)- biibpune.com
- Balaji Institute of Telecom & Management (BITM)- bitmpune.com
- Flame School of Business- flame.edu.in
- Balaji Institute of Modern Management (BIMM)- bimmpune.com
- S P Jain Institute of Management & Research- spjimr.org
- Balaji Institute of Management & Human Resource Development (BIMHRD)- bimhrdpune.com
- Indian Institute of Cost and Management studies & Research- indsearch.org
- Prin L.N. Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research (Mumbai)- welingkar.org
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research- somaiya.edu/simsr
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE)- nitie.edu
- National Insurance Academy- niapune.com
- Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay- som.iitb.ac.in
- Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB), Xavier University- ximb.ac.in
- Asian School of Business Management- asbm.ac.in
- KIIT School of Management, KIIT University- ksom.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Management Technology (BIMTECH)- bimtechbbsr.ac.in
- LM Thapar School of Management- imtsm.thapar.edu
- University Business School – Ludhiana- ubsl.puchd.ac.in
- BITS Pilani- bitsadmission.com
- Institute Of Agri Business Management- iabmbikaner.org
- CCS National Institute of Agricultural Marketing- ccsniam.gov.in
- National Institute of Technology- nitt.edu
- Bharathidasan Institute of Management (BIM)- bim.edu
- Institute of Financial Management & Research- ifmr.ac.in
- Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham- amrita.edu/asb
- Great Lakes Institute of Management- greatlakes.edu.in
- Loyala Instute Of Business Administration- liba.edu
- Hyderabad School of Business Management- gitam.edu
- Vignana Jyothi Institute of Management- vjim.edu.in
- Siva Sivani Institute of Management- ssim.ac.in
- Institute of Public Enterprise- ipeindia.org
- Institute Of Management Technology (IMT)- imt.edu
- Indian Institute Of Finance- iif.edu
- Birla Institute of Management Technology- bimtech.ac.in
- Shiv Nadar University- snu.edu.in
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School- ibs.srms.ac.in
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology (RGIPT)- rgipt.ac.in
- Galgotias University- galgotiasuniversity.edu.in
- Accurate Institute of Management & Technology- accurate.in
- Master School of Management- msmindia.org
- Banaras Hindu University, Faculty of Management Studies- bhu.ac.in/fms
- Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT-A) – Allahabad- iiita.ac.in
- IILM Graduate School of Management- iilmgsm.ac.in
- University Of Lucknow- lkouniv.ac.in
- R.E Group of Institutions- www.jre.edu.in
- Institute of Management Studies (IMS), Ghaziabad- ims-ghaziabad.ac.in
- NTPC School of Business- nsb.ac.in
- Institute of Management Studies, Noida- imsnoida.in
- Institute of Advanced Management & Research- iamr.edu.in
- International Management Institute (Alipore)- imi-k.edu.in
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management (IISWBM)- iiswbm.edu
- Army Institute of Management, Kolkata- aim.ac.in
- Eastern Institute of Integrated Learning in Management (EIILM)- eiilm.co.in
- Management Development Institute (MDI) Murshidabad- mdim.ac.in
- National Institute of Technology – Durgapur- nitdgp.ac.in